RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

The father of my child just passed away. We were not

Customer Question

The father of my child just passed away. We were not married. He left all his estate to his wife. My child is 4 years old and I am out f job now. How can I claim the living cost for my child?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Well if you have not done so then you can claim survivor benefits for the child from deceased father.Thats a monthly check until age 18.If you haven't done that feel free to apply and get this going.You can claim the child on your taxes, the father no longer has that right.You claim them as a dependent next year on your taxes.You will have a social security number for the child here that you get when you apply for survivor benefits.

You will get the child his monthly benefits and you can claim child as a dependent here as well on your taxes..

Claiming child here

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch03.html

Benefits here

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou4.html

Make sure to make an appointment to file at local social security office as soon as you can here to get the money going.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Sorry for your situation I know its hard with one parent.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated,