How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 12396
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed last year and I am the executrix of his

Customer Question

My father passed last year and I am the executrix of his estate. We are trying to rap up his estate tax forms and close his estate. We have been told by our Accountant that our attorney wants to bill over 1% of my Dad estate value. According to the stature, this is within the range for compensation for his services. However, he literally has done nothing to deserve this fee. Being the executrix, I have contacted each of his financial advisors and have researched any statements I may have received with assets not listed with an advisor. I have completed all the paperwork required to transfer these assets to his estate. We do not feel he deserves the 1% fee. What rights do we have and what, if anything can we do about it?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: WV
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have the Letter of Administration and his will.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Hi again.As executrix, you can contest the fee that the lawyer claims is owed. Accordingly, you can refuse to pay the bill. It would be best to try to work out some sort of settlement with the lawyer. If the lawyer refuses and demands his 1%, then you can continue to refuse to pay, and he would likely sue the estate. At that point, you can defend estate in the lawsuit by pointing out that the attorney did not provide the services that you hired him for. If you can show that, then the court will not likely grant the attorney the 1%.Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.