Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband died and both names are on the house deed.Do i…

Customer Question
My husband died and...

My husband died and both names are ***** ***** house deed.Do i need to get it put in my name only?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/12/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

My condolences for your loss.

Assuming title was held in joint tenancy, there is nothing you need to do with regard to this property (or any other asset held as joint tenants with your late husband). Title automatically passes to the surviving joint tenant. It does not even go through probate. So, there is no need to do anything to take sole title. It happened by law.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

Are you online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!