Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

4 children one whom purchased family home, when the parents

Customer Question

4 children one whom purchased family home, when the parents die and split the inheritance, how are the funds of the sale of the home divided. Does the brother who purchased the house get the same amount as the other three siblings
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The brother has the deed to the house,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The brother bought the house for 100,000. so there is the 100,000 to be split, question is does the brother who bought the house get the same amount as the other three siblings that didn't buy the home
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you for your patience. The answer is going to depend on what the parents had in the will. If there was a will, then you're going to have to follow the terms of the will. If there was no will, then the rules of UT's intestacy law is going to take over. Intestacy only means that someone died without a will. If a person dies and they have no spouse, then their children will get their inheritance. It doesn't matter if a child purchased the family home. If there is $100,000 left to be split, all four siblings are going to split the inheritance equally.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.