How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118688
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father died on June 8, 2017 and all his properties have

Customer Question

My father died on June 8, 2017 and all his properties have been sold. In the meantime, she has claimed these benefits for herself, so I would like to "compel an Accounting" to see everything that happened to my dad's estate. Can I do this without an attorney? I am one of 3 siblings named in the will.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Texas
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: All the properties are still in my father's name and my best friend collects $1800 a month from her that she requires in cash.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I meant my friend collects the mortgage payments for dad's estate and gives it to my sister. There is still 4 more years of payments due.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

If you plan on challenging the will/probate, you need to do so using a local attorney, since any challenge would also implicate the other 2 heirs in the estate and you could not represent them. Also, having a local attorney to file a probate challenge and demand for accounting of the estate from the administrator/executor would significantly increase your chances of success on this case as well. It is going to require likely subpoenas and obtaining court orders as it is unlikely that they will turn over the information without the court getting involved, especially if there is some wrong doing or if they are tying to hold the money for their own benefits.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.