Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My estranged grandfather passed two weeks ago. I no that he…

Customer Question
Hi, my estranged grandfather...

Hi, my estranged grandfather passed two weeks ago. I no that he sold his property for 1 dollar to his girlfriend's son in 2015 ( he still lived on it until his death two weeks ago.) I'm unsure if he had a will, and it seems like his siblings just want us to forget about property or any type of assets that my grandfather might of had. How do I go about finding his will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

I'm in Los Angeles, my grandfather died in Yavapai County Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

County clerk documents from online

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/12/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If he has a will, then someone would be named executor and would eventually file a probate case in the local probate court where he lived to settle his estate. Once that is done, the will is admitted to probate and becomes a public document. That means that anyone can get a copy of it and anything else that was filed.

.

So just check with the probate court every few weeks to see if a probate case has been filed and then you either can go to the court to get a copy of the file including the will or can contact a local attorney or even a title/closing company and pay them to go get you a copy and send it to you.

.

.

thanks