Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Two sisters have a joint bank account with 5000 dollars in…

Customer Question
Two sisters have a joint...
Two sisters have a joint bank account with 5000 dollars in it . One sister dies , does the money belong to the sister that shares the joint account or does it belong to the deceased only son ?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/11/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

As a general rule, where a bank account is held in joint ownership, the funds belong to the surviving joint owner and are not probate assets.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney