Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Who can notarize a will?,How many witnesses are needed & do…

Customer Question
Who can notarize a...

Who can notarize a will?,How many witnesses are needed & do they need to be strangers or can they be family members?, How do you assign beneficiaries to a real estate, do they need to be listed on the title?, can you void a codicil or do you need to make a new codicil that amends the 1st one?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

CO

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Existing will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/11/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

1. who can notarize a will?

Any notary with a current commission in the state where the will is executed.

2. How many witnesses are needed & do they need to be strangers or can they be family members?

The Colorado law requires 2 witnesses. They may not be beneficiaries in the will, should be disinterested and not family members.

3. How do you assign beneficiaries to a real estate, do they need to be listed on the title?

In 2004, the Colorado legislature approved the use and creation of "beneficiary deeds" and outlined basic requirements. This type of deed automatically transfers a property interest when the owner dies. Unlike other types of deeds, an individual must record a beneficiary deed with the County Clerk and Recorders Office before it becomes effective.

5. can you void a codicil or do you need to make a new codicil that amends the 1st one?

Yes, you can use a subsequent codicil to revoke a prior codicil. You would just state the new codicil revokes the codicil dated (DATE) and state the amendment.

Also, revoking a will would also have the effect, obviously, of revoking the codicils to that will.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!