Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

If I don't want to be the executor or administrator of the

Customer Question

If I don't want to be the executor or administrator of the estate, can I be forced to be them ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. No, you can not. Even though someone may name you in their will as executor or administrator, you have no legal obligation to take on that responsibility. You simply need to decline to serve and in that case the successor executor/administrator named will be appointed. If there is no successor is named, anyone can petition the court to serve in that role and the court will decide whether or not that person is qualified to serve. But, in any case, you have no duty or obligation.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!