How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jb156200 Your Own Question
jb156200, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 406
Experience:  I am a Probate Attorney practicing in Tampa, Florida.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
jb156200 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother recently had a stroke and is currently in the

Customer Question

My mother recently had a stroke and is currently in the hospital (unable to fully communicate). My parents have separate bills/accounts. What options doesn't my dad have in order for him to take control over paying my mom's bill while my mother in unable to.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  jb156200 replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your issue. For starters, did you mean "What options DOES my dad have in order for him to take control over paying mom's bills?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im sorry. What are his options and what does he need to do (legally)
Expert:  jb156200 replied 1 month ago.

First, did your mother ever execute a Power of Attorney? If she did, the named individual would be the person with the authorization to satisfy her outstanding bills.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has not yet and is unable to at the moment- the stroke was sudden. My dad will be paying her bills from his account so he wouldnt be touching the money in her accounts - just setting up automatic drafts from his to cover her bills.Also the recovery is long term - what can my dad do to ensure her affairs are taking care of during this time?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My dad will have a power of attorney drawn up but if she is unable to sign - what are other options? How limited is the POA?
Expert:  jb156200 replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately without an executed Power of Attorney, your dad will have to Petition the court to become her guardian. The guardianship would then be terminated once she becomes competent and able to execute a Power of Attorney. Is your mother located in Alabama?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My parents are residences of Alabama but she is being treated in Columbus GA. What are the steps to petition for temporary guardianship?
Expert:  jb156200 replied 1 month ago.

The process is begun by “an interested person” filing:

  1. A Petition for Appointment of Guardian or Conservator or both. (The petitioner does not necessarily apply to be appointed him/herself.) See Alabama Code § 26-2A-103 and 26-2A-133(b).
  2. An Order Setting Date for Hearing, Directing Notice and Appointing Guardian ad Litem, for completion by the probate clerk. This will list the names and relationships of all who must be notified.
  3. A Petitioner’s Notice of Hearing must be prepared and signed by the petitioner for personal service on the Ward and each other person entitled to notice (unless a Waiver of Notice is filed). Service may be by certified mail in most cases, but not on the Ward. It speeds up the process and reduces costs if those entitled to notice sign Waivers of Notice making service by process server or certified mail unnecessary.
  4. The Probate Court appoints a “Guardian ad Litem” (guardian "for this time")- usually an attorney - to represent the person alleged to be incapacitated and only that person, and also a physician to examine the allegedly incapacitate person and give an opinion about whether (s)he believes appointing a guardian or conservator is in the person's best interests.
  5. The Probate Court will set a date for hearing the Petition that will allow time to make appointments and get reports back, and for notice to be given to those entitled to it if Waivers have not been filed for all of them.