Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father has Alzheimers and my step mother is his sole care…

Customer Question
My father has Alzheimers...

My father has Alzheimers and my step mother is his sole care giver. She has refused to allow in home assistance. I have access to videos and recordings from a camera she asked to have installed in their bedroom that she is verbally abusing him. He also is not fed an adequet diet and is dehydrated. She has power of attorney for both finances and helath.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We are located in Montgomery County Ohio. would like to be able to move him to a full time care facility. I have discussed this with my sister who lives out of state and I have a sister in the same county who very seldom visits our father and we don't often communicate. The step mother has redone my father's will, and set herself up as the POA with in the last year. My father went to appointments with the attorney, but he has not been in a state of mind to make the decisions needed for these changes in several years. I am afraid of too much confrontation as she may cut me out of my father's life completely. Currently I spend every Friday and generally one other day per week with him - allowing her time to get her hair done, shop, visit others, etc. My father had a hefty severence package from General Motors, and the funds should be there to more than cover either in home or in a care facility

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not at this time. He has been to the emergency room several times in the past few months where my step mother has been told he was dehydrates. I have gone to Dr appointments with them for several years and she had been told to get him into adult care for stimulation. Again, she has not and says she won't. My father sits in the house looking at the same four walls and is bombarded with Fox news This is not good for him. I take him out for lunch and on excursions when possible and he is happy. He seems depressed but gets back his bubbly personality when someone visits, or we go places

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just want to get help for my father

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Estate Law
9/7/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If she is not caring for him properly, you can file a petition in the local probate court to become his legal guardian and that would then give you the power over his care and finances and put you in sole control.

.

Otherwise you won't be able to keep the step mother from ensuring that he passes much more quickly..

.

You would need to contact a local elder law or family law attorney to assist in getting the guardianship petition through the courts more smoothly so you can gain control faster..

.

.

thanks