How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I found out my father had an insurance policy that been in

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** found out my father had an insurance policy that been in the unclaimed department for over 25 yrs after his death, I applied for the money and I received half because the agent said my half brother children was entitled to the rest. He is deceased alone with my father. I am the only living child my father has. No one else has claimed the money. How can I receive the rest of it, It just sitting there. I am my father's only daughter and it is entitled to me. What do I have to do to receive the rest of my inheritance?
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Did you receive my message yet?
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: My father's death certificate, and my birth certificate. The lady at the unclaimed department told me she would search for my brother's children which never acknowledged my father. I am his only daughter. No one has contacted the monies, It's just sitting there unclaimed,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was given 4,700 but there is still 4,700 left in the trust fund. The money has been sitting there. My dad has been deceased over 25 yrs.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear of the dilemma.

Who was the named beneficiary on the policy? Are you in contact with the children? Do you know how to contact them?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Are you online with me?