Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  29 Years in General Practice and Estate Planning
68197583

Does a last will and testament have to be notarized. I went

Customer Question

does a last will and testament have to be notarized. I went to a notary public and was told they could not notarize a will. What is the option that would make it official?
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: new york
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: all investments have been assigned to each of my three children. I need a will showing who will be the executor and description of property (car and mobile home) which are currently solely in my name.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What is the proper finalization for legalizing the will. I went to a notary public and was told they could no notarize a will how do I make this will legal?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.
Welcome to JA and thank you for your question Did you prepare the will or did an attorney draft the document?
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.
In New York a will does need to be notarized to be legally valid. The requirement is that two people witness you signing your will and that the witnesses sign the will as well. This link sets out the requirements http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-york-make-will-31735.html
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.
This link sets out the requirements for the witnesses http://resources.lawinfo.com/wills/new-york/
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.
Please feel free to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit from the site for my work and my time I would appreciate it. Thank you for using JA. We appreciate your business