RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

After the death of our mother the will was read by the

After the death of our mother the will was read by the lawyer who prepared it for her. He filed for papers for my sister and I to be the executors and we received them. We have paid all of her bills and placed an ad in the paper as required. As written in will " I hereby authorize my executors herein named to sell any and all property of my own, without appraisement and without order of a court to facilitate the distribution of my estate through probate." We have paid bills and paid bequeath amounts in her will. NOW THE LAWYER SAID WE SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT AFTER HE TOLD US TO DO SO IN FRONT OF 3 PEOPLE. WHAT DOES HE MEAN WHEN HE SAYS IT WILL TAKE MONTHS MORE AND WE ARE IN TROUBLE??????
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Her will and executor paper
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We did everything as mom stated in her will

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Not sure what he is referencing.Was there an inventory filed.Personally I think you need a new lawyer.This seems real unprofessional to call you out in public like this.He should have quietly explained to you any issues and not ridiculed you about this.

Do you have letters testamentary, these are issued in court when will was admitted to probate.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There were no issues about anything. Mom owes nothing to anyone at all. She only owned a house and that was clearly stated in the will that it went to my sister. The court issued my sister as executors. The lawyer never said anything about probate until Aug. 18 and no he is the lawyer. He said my sister I are in trouble now because we executed her will completely except for the transfer of her house (paid) and will not give us the abstract.

I think you need a new lawyer.This is very unprofessional to talk to you this way and treat you like children.It may be time for a change here.Even if it is to transfer title and close it out.You deserve better treatment and a professional.

Lawyer referral

Call(###) ###-####to learn about office hours.

Monday: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Tuesday: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Wednesday: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Thursday: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

I don't think you are in trouble here, you did nothing intentionally wrong.I wish you the best here.

Thanks for rating 5 stars.