Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My brother passed intestate in Georgia and there is a

personal representative appointed. At what...
My brother passed intestate in Georgia and there is a personal representative appointed. At what point should I expect to see an inventory and how often should I see reports. I am the surviving heir.
Also, how much personal time is the PR allowed to claim for working on the case. It is my understanding that he expects the allowed % of money in and out plus all his time and travel working on the case.
8/18/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response.

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your brother. I hope you and your family only the best.

You should receive an inventory rather quickly (1 to 2 months at most). You should also receive a monthly accounting of the estate (although you can certainly request one more often, at most every other week).

Georgia has one of the more specific set of statutes surrounding executor compensation, Georgia sets compensation (if not set by the decedent) to:

• 2.5% of cash received
  • 2.5% of cash disbursed
  • a reasonable fee not to exceed 3% of the value of other assets disbursed (the larger the estate, the smaller the percentage, with estates typically reaching into the $Ms before the percentage drops below 3%)
  • 10% on all interest earned on money loaned to the estate by the executor

The court can also allow additional compensation for "extraordinary" services.

See § l53-6-60 of the Georgia Revised Probate Code of 1998 for details.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Roy Hadavi

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.