Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My dad passed away last year and he has no will and we don't…

My dad passed away...

My dad passed away last year and he has no will and we don't have any of his papers his girlfriend refuses to give us any of his paperwork so we don't know what to do to find out his assets. We just know he has two promissory notes and we know about him having a bank account but that is it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

We have his bank account information and his signed promissory notes from the business he had with Woodbridge wealth.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is about it.

8/17/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. The offer is not from me. While I am happy to speak to you, there is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

We are in the process of getting his death certificate and we want to know the best way to go about getting all his assets. There is me my older sister and my younger sister so three of us all together we just want to make sure what to do we don't want to pull any money out of any where because we don't want the government coming after us we just don't have a clue on what to do.

My condolences for your loss.

If you file to open an estate in probate and get an appointment as estate representative then you will have legal authority to marshal his assets, including his papers and accounts. If the girlfriend refuses to cooperate the court can hold her in contempt and sanction her with fines or even jail.

You will need a probate attorney in Florida, as pro se probate is not permitted, under most circumstances.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Also,

The Florida Bar maintains an excellent online referral program:

FLORIDA BAR ATTORNEY REFERRAL

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney