Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

In the event that both me and my hubby should pass, what

document needs to be filled...
In the event that both me and my hubby should pass, what document needs to be filled out by me and our niece that she can
dispurse everything as written down. We really can't afford a trust or a will and we know he POA is exhausted on the day of our deaths. We just want her to do all the dispersing of stuff. OR is there any online forms I can fill out for a fraction of the cost for a trust?
8/17/2017
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Mary,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

What you are referring to is a Living Trust. This is a document that would name your niece as the Successor Trustee after you both pass, and would direct her how to dispose of your assets that are then owned by the trust. This will allow your niece to avoid having to have the estate probated through the probate court.

There is unfortunately, no other instrument that will take the place of a trust and the powers that are granted the Successor Trustee when you die.

If you must do this on the cheap, I would suggest an inexpensive online website for the preparation of the Trust paperwork---and you can do it yourself. Here is just one example of such a site: https://store.nolo.com/products/online-living-trust-nntrus.html

You may reply to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

after filling out the paperwork, where do I file It?

Good evening,

I am no longer at my office, but in my home for the evening. I am responding to you now only because I did not want to force you to wait until the morning for an answer. Please be so kind as to reward my attentiveness with your positive rating of my service

You don't file it anywhere. Under MN law after you prepare the trust document, it is finalized when you sign the trust document in front of a notary public and then transfer assets into the name of the trust (such as real property deeds, car titles (and other property that MUST be registered with the state) to finalize the process.

There is nothing to file with the court under MN law.

Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen so that I can be compensated for helping you. I am not an employee of the site and I am only paid when you rate my service to you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Good evening,

Is there anything else I can assist you with tonight? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
LawTalk, Attorney