Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My sister own my parents house, which was passed down to…

Customer Question
My sister own my...

My sister own my parents house, which was passed down to her. She got married and wants to renovate the house. the house is hers as long as she is alive.after her death it goes to the rest of my parent children. There is a will stating this. What rights does the husband have after her death.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any legal documents been drafted or filed?

No, just the will

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate planning laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Society Hill S.C>

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can the will be change?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Estate Law
8/5/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

If your sister has a life estate in the property then her husband has no interest in the house after the death of his wife. The life estate will terminate and the title will vest in the remaindermen.

He will not have any legal claim to assert regarding the title.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!