Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My sister passed in 2014 her husband passed in 2017. She had…

Customer Question
My sister passed in...

My sister passed in 2014 her husband passed in 2017. She had a retirement fund and i was the alternative. her husband was the main beneficiary and he had a son from a previous marriage. Do i have any rights to this retirement fund of hers?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have the trust documents been finalized? What are the basic terms?

No, everything is in probate in the state of Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I live in Wisconsin. She did not want the step son to have any right to her retirement. She had a restraining order against him in the past.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You will need to contact the retirement fund to verify whether you are due any benefits.Normally here she deceased and he draws as survivor but it ends when he deceased.Most pensions only pay one survivor but check here to see if you have any benefits due.If you are due them you will have to send in a death certificate.Give them a call here and see if you are due anything, the pension plan will tell you if you are a residual beneficiary.

I appreciate the chance to help, sorry for loss of sister.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.