How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have Durable Power of attorney that my mother gave in

Customer Question

I have Durable Power of attorney that my mother gave in 2004. In1997 while father and brother were still alive a will was written stating that my brother and I would each receive half of what my parents had at the time. In 2004 after my father and brother had passed my mom had a lawyer drat an ammendment naming me successors beneficiary. Now my brothers children say they have copies the 1997 papers.and are asking for money even though they were told by my mom that she had changed all of that. What is my legal standing?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Was written in Florida but she's been living in California where I live. All of the banks and realesin California and Florida have honored the Durable Power of Attorny.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: By my brother's Family? No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My previous message was cut shot...I was saying all financial institutions and real estate companies have honored the Durable Power of Attorney.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  retireddebra replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  retireddebra replied 2 months ago.

I am very sorry. I can see that you are in the US. The question is on the Canada law list. I will ask the site to move the question at once.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. The offer is not from me. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did your mother revoke the the 1997 will?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Is your mother still alive?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Are you online with me?