Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

Is there a fee for a question? I am just researching at the

Customer Question
moment. JA: You just pay a...
Is there a fee for a question? I am just researching at the moment.
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: ohio. But I will just continue researching. Thank you.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: my mother passed leaving secured debt on her home (secondary mortgage or home equity mortgage, no primary mortgage exists) and my sister has been living in the home. She would like to assume the secured debt and also assume ownership of the home. The balance of the secured debt is equal to the value of the home.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: there is also a $47,000 medicaid bill on top of the secured debt.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
8/5/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 4 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You really should think about this if you are stating the home is $47k underwater based on medicaid.You might choose to let this go and she can live there until they foreclose.You would have to open probate here but if you did the medicaid folks or the lender will take the house. This is really a deed end.I would not make any more payments I don't see a future here if this is underwater as you state.

Let me know if you have more follow up here or I missed something.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars when we are done.

Please follow up it appears the house is way underwater.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney