How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55716
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step son's father passed away recently and his father's

Customer Question

My step son's father passed away recently and his father's widow refuses his request to see the will. Does he have a legal right?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I do not know.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

The key is whether or not your step son's father had a will. If he did, then the terms of the will control his probate estate. If he did not, then he will be deemed to have died intestate and the Washington intestate succession laws will apply. If his surviving spouse is in possession of the will, she needs to file the will with the probate court in the county in which he resided at his death, usually within 30 days of the date of death. Once it is filed with the court, it becomes public record and your step son can obtain a copy from the probate records. The will should name an executor who will then need to be officially appointed by the probate court as executor which will then give that person official authorization to administer the estate. Until that time, no one has any authority to do anything with your his probate assets. Your step son's father's estate and his assets are not his surviving spouse's personal piggy bank. If she doesn't produce the will and cause it to be filed within 30 days of the date of your step son's father's death, he can file his own petition with the court asking the court that he be deemed to have died intestate and that the state's intestate succession rules govern his probate estate. That will force her either produce a will or live with the Washington intestate succession laws. Under the Washington intestate succession laws, when there is a surviving spouse and children who are not the descendants of the surviving spouse, the estate is divided between the surviving spouse and the father's children.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. Just wantedtofollow up with you. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you! Richard