How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Gonzalez Your Own Question
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez,
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 538
Experience:  Managing Member at EWF Title, LLC
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Michael Gonzalez is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion]how the do i file for survivors benefits

Customer Question

[Second opinion]how the hell do i file for survivors benefits

Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.First, gather all pertinent documents such as your birth certificate, death certificate, the deceased's last tax forms and social security numbers.Then, contact the office to apply for Social Security survivor benefits for you and/or a child. You cannot apply online.
Call the Social Security Administration toll-free at 1-***-***-**** from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Those who are deaf or hard of hearing should call the TTY line at 1-***-***-****.
Visit or call your local Social Security office. To find contact information for the Social Security office closest to you, go the Social Security Administration's website, click "Find a Social Security Office," enter your zip code in the field provided, and click "Locate."You will meet with a Social Security intake representative who will ask you questions. Provide any required documentation and sign any paperwork presented to you by the Social Security intake representative during the application interview.
The intake representative will provide you with a summary called a “Receipt for Your Claim for Social Security Child's Insurance Benefits” for each child for whom you are applying for benefits. Do not lose this. You will need it to check on the status of your claim later on. Make sure the intake representative also returns all original copies of important documentation to you before you leave the office.
Make sure you get a business card with your intake representative's contact information before you leave the office. Your intake representative is your local, flesh-and-blood contact person should there be any delay in application processing or timely receipt of benefits at any future point.You can later check status of claim by Visiting