Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My dad died 11 years ago, i have three sisters my mom and…

Customer Question
My dad died 11...

My dad died 11 years ago , i have three sisters my mom and dad were seperated for yrs before he died. after his death my youngest sister moved into the house we said that was fine and all she had to do was pay taxes on it, so now years later i find out my mom took out a second mortgage on the house and now the bank wants to take it for nonpayment . i thank i still own 12.5 percent. how do i stop the bank

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any legal documents been drafted or filed?

I don't know i just found out about an hour ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate planning laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Estate Law
8/2/2017
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.On review of your facts, you have a good case.
A lawyer would negotiate or file in court to award you your rights.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.
In February 2006 after my fathers death my youngest sister needed a place to live, My other two sister and i agreed she could live in the house rent free if she paid the taxes. She agreed, then my mother stepped in sometime later and took out a second mortgage and i guess she either never paid taxes or mortgage .My mom and dad didn't live together for years ,i live in the house till i was 23 with my dad,my mom left when i was 12 i believe.After my dad passed i thought i owned 25 percent but my mom steps back in and said she owned 50 percent so i believe i still own 12.5 percent. Is this correct
You would receive whatever share was left to you directly and from facts mentioned your percentage is correct.
You want to get the deed last recorded to confirm what each of them owned!
please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up