How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife just passed away with no will. I am trying to see

Customer Question

My wife just passed away with no will. I am trying to see how about being able to receive the monies from her Bank accounts and some stock that is in her name.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: With respect to?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have been legally married and living in the same house for over 25 years. We have 1 son.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

I am very sorry for your loss. Initially, if your name is ***** ***** it passes to you. If you were a beneficiary on account it passes to you. You may contact with copy of death certificate and ID and see if they will process. If not, you would need to petition with an estate lawyer to be selected as her adminstrator and then close out her estate as her adminstrator transferring assets to yourself as her intestate her.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if that is fast and clear.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if I have a copy of the death certificate and proof of marriage and identity, will that allow me to receive these benifits?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

In many cases yes without having to go to court to be appointed adminstrator.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

Is my answer acceptable?