Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Can a deed with life estate have social security or other…

Customer Question
Can a deed with...

Can a deed with life estate have social security or other bills filed to take away the land or house after the one that has a life estate dies?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No they want me to make one with my Mom on it to get a grant for her she is 90 and in very poor health.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not at this time.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/2/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

No, the life estate terminates upon the death of the life tenant and title would automatically vest in the remainderman. It is not a probate asset.

However, there is a 5 yr lookback for medicaid. So, it may not be effective for the purpose of establishing medicaid eligibility, if that is a concern.

Also, it may be pulled back into the estate when she dies for medicaid reimbursement.

For those reasons, I would strongly recommend you sit down with an estate planning attorney before making any changes in title.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

MARTINDALE HUBBLE

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.