Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If a Vehicle is registration is in the decieced name at time…

Customer Question
If a Vehicle is...

If a Vehicle is registration is in the decieced name at time of death.Is that part of the estate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

GA

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Vehicle registration Was in My mothers name at time of death. My sister put it in her name 2 weeks later.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My sister and i are both co-excuters

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Estate Law
8/1/2017
Estate Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If the vehicle was in your mother's name at the time of her death then YES the vehicle is part of the Estate and must be accounted for.

The Title of the Vehicle is what controls. Normally the name of the person on the Registration and on the Title are the same person.

Georgia does allow for the transfer of a vehicle at death in a simplified manner so that it need not go through probate - BUT the value of the vehicle must be accounted for. If your sister took the vehicle then she owes the estate the value of the Vehicle.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald