Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am the sole beneficiary on a will what am I entitled to…

Customer Question
I am the sole...

I am the sole beneficiary on a will what am I entitled to and what do I do with the will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Mass.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the original will of my neighbor who passed away this morning.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She was in a nursing home and didn't have much, she had a 5,000 life insurance policy that she thought she changed to my name but unfortunately the nephew is on it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Estate Law
7/31/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

My condolences for your loss.

If you are the sole beneficiary then you are entitled to all probate assets left after payment of lawful claims.

The will will need to be admitted to probate and the estate opened.

However, if there are no assets left in the estate then there may not be any reason to do so. There is no legal requirement that you probate an estate, especially if it is insolvent.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.

Otherwise, have I answered your question?

i guess that is it.I called probate court today and got the same answer for free. I should have waited and saved the 55.00 dollars.

Was my information correct? Did it answer your questions?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!