How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in writing wills and probating estates in a variety of ways.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to turn 65 and I don't have a will. (I do have a

Customer Question

I am about to turn 65 and I don't have a will. (I do have a large life insurance policy.) I don't have any cash, but I have a lot of meaningful belongings. I want to leave everything to my son, with some suggestions on what he might do with certain items. I have talked to him about this. (He is 24) I told him I would make up a list of what was important that he should keep or keep in the family, and what he might want to sell. My question is, where do I begin? Is there something on line that I can down load? Or do I need to go into a lawyers office to have it drawn up? And then, what do I do with the document?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. Please stand by!

Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.


If you want your bequests to be legally enforceable, then you would need to have a will drawn up by an attorney, or complete a DIY version from LegalZoom or something along those lines. In your will you would make specific bequests and also note what items you are okay with being sold. This is the best route because the law will enforce whatever you put in your will (within reason, provided all your bequests are legal.)

If you have a will drafted, you can put it in a safe like like a safe deposit box that your son has access to, or you can give it to your son, or keep it in a place in your home that your son is aware of.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does it matter if I have a will drawn up in Delaware, but then later move to Florida?
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

It does not. As long as your will was legally drawn up, your new state will honor it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One last thing. Can you give me an idea on how much it will cost to have this drawn up?
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

It varies by attorney. For an uncomplicated will, I've seen everything from $400 - $1500. Your best bet will be to shop around on a site like and get several quotes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, thank you.
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

You are welcome!