Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

In NJ does a bank have to wait for approval from the Sate

Customer Question
before releasing assets to a...
in NJ does a bank have to wait for approval from the Sate before releasing assets to a Class A beneficiary? The assets' value is below the exemption amount.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: The L-8 and an asset valuation report from the brokerage firm.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The assets were in a grantor's revocable trust. The grantor died in June 2017.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
7/26/2017
Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The bank needs proper documentation from the surrogate/probate court to release the funds to the beneficiaries. So, you must provide proof to the bank of the proper beneficiaries and if the grantor had listed the beneficiary on the trust as a beneficiary, then probate is not required, just a copy of the trust documents from the trustee or successor trustee to prove the beneficiary is the legal heir entitled to the funds. It is not necessarily approval from the state, it is approval either from probate court naming the beneficiaries or proof of the trust documents naming the person as beneficiary of the trust.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney