How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in writing wills and probating estates in a variety of ways.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother was ran over by some one in a van in el paso texas

Customer Question

my mother was ran over by some one in a van in el paso texas she had no spouse and no will there are no other children do i become executor of her estate
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i am waiting for a police report i claimed her remains and have a death certificate
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: el paso texas three weeks a go
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. Please stand by!

Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

You may be able to file a Small Estate Affidavit. This link has more about it If your mother's estate was small enough ($50,000 or less, not counting the value of her homestead), then you may just need to appear in court once to get letters of administration.

This is also a helpful resource:

In most cases, you will need to appear in court at least once after you file your probate proceeding.

This is the link for the forms El Paso County uses:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She has nothing like property or anything material I want . But my insurance company told me become executor to claim insurance payment from women who hit to cover funeral
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

A small estate affidavit with letters of administration would be sufficient for that so long as the payment isn't going to be more than $50,000.