KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

My wife recently passed. She did not leave assets that

Customer Question

My wife recently passed. She did not leave assets that qualify as an estate. She had credit card debt in her name only. What should I do in dealing with her creditors?
JA: What are the debts in question? What collection efforts have been made?
Customer: A Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and a Kohl's card. The companies have sent a letter and contacted me by phone.
JA: Estate planning laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There was also a student plus college loan in her name. I have reported her death to each creditor, and I provided documentation when necessary. Our home mortgage is in both of our names. She had a car loan, but it is my intent to surrender the vehicle.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.
Good morning. If she had no assets that qualified for a probate then you would not be liable on her debts which were solely in her name. What you should now do is mail a letter to each of the credit card company explaining that she died with no assets, no will and that she will not have an estate to probate. You should also attach a copy of the death certificate to each of the letters. A letter showing of also be sent to the student loan company informing them about her death and attach a copy of the death certificate. If you were not a signatory on the card you should have no further obligation on the debts. I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question for credit and tracking so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

my apologies. I did not see that this question was already answered.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

If you have any other questions please just ask.