Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Does a revocable living trust have to filed with the county?

Does a revocable living...

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

MY Father died recently, he had a living trust (I have seen it), how can I get a copy of it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The greene county clerk says no, the circuit clerk says no

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/17/2017
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

A trust, unlike a will, is a private agreement and it is not a public record.

If you are a vested beneficiary then the trustee must provide, at least, the relevant portions of the trust to you, along with a notice of your beneficial interest.

If you are not a vested beneficiary then the trustee has no duty to provide information to you, absent a court order directing otherwise.

Send a written demand to the trustee for a copy of the trust. If the trustee refuses and you know you are a vested beneficiary then you will need to sue the trustee in probate court.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney