Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

Does a revocable living trust have to filed with the county?

Does a revocable living...

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

MY Father died recently, he had a living trust (I have seen it), how can I get a copy of it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The greene county clerk says no, the circuit clerk says no

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/17/2017
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

A trust, unlike a will, is a private agreement and it is not a public record.

If you are a vested beneficiary then the trustee must provide, at least, the relevant portions of the trust to you, along with a notice of your beneficial interest.

If you are not a vested beneficiary then the trustee has no duty to provide information to you, absent a court order directing otherwise.

Send a written demand to the trustee for a copy of the trust. If the trustee refuses and you know you are a vested beneficiary then you will need to sue the trustee in probate court.

thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney