Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My husband said my mother in law is the 1st trustee and that

I am the 2nd (his...
my husband said my mother in law is the 1st trustee and that I am the 2nd (his wife), what does that mean should god forbid anything unforeseen happen to him, how will my children be protected financially (and business assets)
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: hawaii
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: he just signed the paper work last Friday and he said he did it that way so my name doesn't pull up on public record? I don't even know what that means. but he will show me the work later. I was just trying to get a better understanding about it. He own's a real estate business (developing homes and flipping some/renting some)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what does 1st and 2nd trustee mean and what rights do each have. he is also putting the will in that trust, but I guess I didn't know what a trust was, what a will in the trust is for? etc.
7/14/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money. Some people just prefer the speed of a phone call and that the information not be posted on the public forum.

When there are designated first and second (and possibly additional) trustees, it means, unless otherwise specified, that the first trustee is the immediate trustee and the second trustee is the successor in the event the first trustee dies or is unwilling or unable to continue as fiduciary.

his mom has all the say? I was just concerned as we have 4 children and I didn't quite understand what he was telling me to the effect of her name will go on public record but my name wont show up? He said he was protecting me in that case, should anyone try to sue him, they would come to me next but because he put all his business and will in a trust its protected? I guess he just was thinking of worse case scenarios and I of course was confused on what all that meant.

Yes, if he appointed his mother a s first trustee then she will have the fiduciary authority, unless the trust states otherwise.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.

Otherwise, have I answered the question to your satisfaction?

you are good im done thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney