Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

As durable poa, and executor of an Individual's Will, do the…

Customer Question
As durable poa, and...

As durable poa, and executor of an Individual's Will, do the poa have the right to review any codicil to the Individual's Will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

NJ. Not sure that a codicil has been presented to estate attorney, but a beneficiary of the estate contacted the estate attorney and they discussed certain items that might be contained in the codicil. does the general poa have the right to review any codicils when there is reason to believe they are incapacitated or suffering from cognitive decline. Moreover, can in this case, a codicil be revoked by the poa under these circumstances?,

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I do not have evidence of a codicil. i only have an email from the estate attorney mentioning that he had a conversation with a beneficiary of the estate that should have no reason/right to be discussion such a document before the Individual is deceased.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know the rights of the poa to revoke a codicil...if it exists. i can only be sure that this conversation was had with the estate attorney and the Individual, and separately with the beneficiary. the estate attorney told me and i thought that was wrong.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
6/24/2017
Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this; so the durable POA is the same person as the executor? And a beneficiary, not a POA, is requesting financial or medical information, including viewing a copy of the codicil to a will?