Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

When is the mother the next of kin when her adult child

Customer Question

When is the mother the next of kin when her adult child dies?
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I am in Illinois
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have the death certificate, His old drivers license. I have old Letter of office. My signature is on all of his furneal expenses. I have the Estate banking account.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, hhis ex wife objected to me being the administrator now my lawyer is her lawyer and now I am completely shut out of my son's affairs. Only when something is needed am I contacted then the lawer wants a verbal exchange instead of putting every thing in wtriting.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Mother/father of deceased would not be next of kin unless there is no surviving spouse (so an ex is not surviving spouse) and no children (so if he had children they would be next in line as heirs) and then it would be parents and if no parents then siblings.
His ex wife has no say unless your son had children and they are minors then she can step up to represent the children as heirs, but she would not be an heir or next of kin.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.