Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Can heirs be paid hourly from estate funds before the estate…

can heirs be paid hourly...
can heirs be paid hourly from estate funds before the estate closes for work done to prepare, clean and fix real estate for sale?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/6/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Yes but the estate has to report it here as wages and heirs have to report it as income.It is possible to pay them but it has to be transparent.The estate claims it on their tax return and heirs do to as income.As long as it is done that way no problem.The executor has right to hire workers and work to be done.Usually this done as a 1099 from the estate and heir reports it on their taxes.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Two problems I'm dealing with is my brother and sister were secretly keeping track of their hours for months and then when I found out my brother presented me with an $11,000 bill at $30 per hour and demanded payment from estate funds. I thought we were working together to increase the value of the property so we would get a larger inheritance at closing.

Deny the claim if you think it is excessive.The hourly rate is high for beginners.You have right to negotiate here and compromise for a lesser amount.There was no agreement here to pay them by contract, off them half see what they say and 1099 them if you pay them.Remember executor has right to negotiate and resolve claims.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney