Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If my wife and I establish a revocable living trust and the…

If my wife and...

If my wife and I establish a revocable living trust and the trust has income, do we have to file a 1041. Two potential beneficiaries are nonresident aliens, but only if we both die at the same approximate time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I'm not sure what you mean - support for what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am a US citizen and my wife is a resident alien. If we die at the same time, her heirs, who are residents and citizens of Malaysia, will get half of our assets.

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/3/2017
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

In general, you will not have to file a 1041, the U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts, for your revocable living trust – at least not as long as you're alive and serving as its trustee.

The trust's tax identification number is ***** own Social Security number because you still technically own all the assets the trust contains. All interest, dividends and other income earned by those assets is reported to the Internal Revenue Service on your own tax return. All income earned by your revocable living trust is reported on your personal Form 1040, not on a separate revocable trust tax return.

Loren, Attorney