LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

My parents died and left me a will stating every thing goes

Customer Question

my parents died and left me a will stating every thing goes to me how do iI get the deed to the house in my name ?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York City Of Schenectady In the County Of Schenectady
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: The wills my mother and father had made
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not sure
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 4 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

My sympathies for your loss;

when a person passes and leaves their property via will, it is necessary to probate the property in surrogate court; this is the process:

https://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/WhenSomeoneDies/probate.shtml

The personal representative (an interested party) can petition the court to be appointed and they will be issued "letters testamentary" and then that person can gather and distribute decedent's assets per the will.

The executor will have the ability to execute an executor's deed which will put the property in the heir's name; here is a sample deed:

https://www.nysba.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=21390

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.