Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

Our sister died and left her estate to my3sisters and i. we

Customer Question

our sister died and left her estate to my3sisters and i. we wish to revoke our rights as beneficiariess of the estate and allow the estate tobe given to her boy freind
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: illinos
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The problem is that if there is no will leaving the estate to her boyfriend, then you revoking your rights to the estate would not give it to the boyfriend, it would go to the next legal heirs in the statutory line. So, if you want the boyfriend to have everything, all of the sisters have to go through probate and get the property from the estate and then they can make a donation/gift of the property and assets to the boyfriend. So, you and your sisters need to complete probate and get all of the inheritance and you can then write out a donation and give the property to her boyfriend as you wish to do.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.