Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  17 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I bought an real estate in VA and hired a PM to manage it.

Customer Question

I bought an real estate in VA and hired a PM to manage it. Recently, i surprised to get an delinquent tax bill. It turned out the county sent the bill to the property, not to me or to the PM. Who is suppose to update the address? Should the settlement company do it?Thank you
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses, but rest assured, I am working on your question. The website may offer a phone call option, but it is optional.

.

Unless paying taxes was part of the PM contract, then normally the owner is responsible for contacting any taxing authority and changing the mailing address for the taxes..... Same with insurance. PMs typically only handle things like maintenance and leasing the property, but don't handle the incidents of ownership like taxes or insurance.

.

The taxing authority doesn't track down the owner when they move somewhere and their default is to send the bill to the property address if they haven't been told by the owner to send it somewhere else..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks