Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  29 Years in General Practice and Estate Planning
68197583

State advance health care directive how many proxies can be

Customer Question

Washington state advance health care directive how many proxies can be named on the directive. My stepsister called me yesterday andsaidshehadboth our names on an advance health care directive for my father and her mother I have been told normally only one person can be named on this as the advocate is this true?.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Yes, to avoid confusion and deadlock, only one healthcare agent can be acting at a given time. The healthcare proxy can name an alternate if the primary is not able or is unwilling to serve, but only one person has the authority at a time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there any circumstance where two people would be named?
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

No.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

There would always be only one acting agent.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

There can be as many layers of alternates as the principal wants, but only one serves at a time.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, you opted out your previous contributor and they cannot respond. Did you have any further questions that were not answered or you would like more information about?
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. You can have two people acting as your agent at one time. It is generally preferable to list them in succession in case one is unable to act on the Principal's behalf. http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/files/C9D2EA3F-0350-D9AF-ACAE-BF37E9BC9FFA/attachments/392A5117-D581-FCE9-5EF2-E382E46B92AC/9608en_powers-of-attorney-and-health-care-directives.pdf

This links sets out the newest information on Health Care Directives https://wsma.org/advance-directives

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Do you have any additional questions for me?