Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Wanting to know if you can sell a home in Illinois if the

Customer Question

Wanting to know if you can sell a home in Illinois if the owner is in the nursing home on medicaid
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: She started out in Illinois nursing home and now is in one in Kentucky nursing home her real estate ho e is in Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Medicare knows she has the property but I haven't seen any lein on it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

The answer to your question is yes, but there are some things that you need to watch out for.

Generally, selling any home will almost certainly bring the owner above the allowed-asset amount and potentially disqualify the homeowner from Medicaid.

The next most important question here though is does this person plan on keeping the proceeds or buying a new home?