How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2 Your Own Question
Attorney2, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6891
Experience:  29 Years in General Practice and Estate Planning
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Attorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hope you can help us out and assist us with some clues to

Customer Question

hi i hope you can help us out and assist us with some clues to solve our great mystery of the missing WILL (lol) that was left by my father in law many years ago fact . so many years ago the lawyer that originally drew it up for him is now deceased which is where this whole thing started i need to know if there is any way to get a copy of the will if the lawyer is deceased and the only copy was supposedly lost somehow or destroyed and the reason i say that is because a forged one surfaced after the mom became very ill and her health rapidly went bad she lost her ablility to speak and move her arms and legs independently and when the new will surfaced another current lawyer would not accept it as being legitimate because it was drew up after the mom became very ill and it was not notorized and also the mom left the deeds to her 2 houses for all 4 of her children equally but of course the deed and her will is not anywhere to be found either please let me know if there is any way get certified copies of her will and her deeds that she had to be recorded after her death for the kids to equally own both houses. and would the deeds she named the kids on maybe have her will attached to it or something to say how it was suppose to go after her death .ok thats my questions thank you in advance for you help have a wonderful day
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 4 months ago.

It is unlikely that you will be able to get a copy unless the law firm is still in business and they retained the file. That neing said where in California did your father reside in CA at the time of his death?

"current lawyer would not accept it as being legitimate"

As far as your mother's will an Attorney cannot determine if a will is valid this is for the court to decide.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay well i was able to locate the living trust the mother had recorded in 2004 but nobody ever saw it before or after it was replaced by a new living trust by his sister giving her one house and the sister the other house and the same sister who was in given control of everything by the siblings early on because she was the oldest of the 4 children was able to change alot of things that all the children were thought to happen after her death so is there any hope for the siblings to gain proof through the county recorders office . cuz before i go pay for a certified copy of that orginal deed for my husband would it be possible that it would have any conditions maybe attached to the living trust that were to be fullfilled?? and his father resided in santa clara county city of sunnyvale in callifornia
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 4 months ago.

I am not sure what you are telling me. The last document prepared for your mother's estate would be the one that the court would need to decide if it is valid. This is not up to an Attorney unless he is stating that it is missing the requirements to be valid.

Estate documents are filed in the county probate court where the person resided at the time of their death.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 4 months ago.

For Santa Clara you would contact the probate court at

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 4 months ago.

It appears that you have been unhappy with the service on the site as I do not see that you take the time to credit the "experts" for their work and time.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay so i didnt know about the ratings and the lawyers not getting paid if i didnt rate no one ever said that was the rule and although i appreciate the info i feel you were rude so im not sure how to rate that
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 4 months ago.

It was never my intention to be rude. The issue is that the Attorneys can see the ratings and often avoid questions where a customer has a history of not rating.

Thank you for using JA. We do appreciate your business.

This is a link for the terms of service

Just let me know if you want the question closed.

Related Estate Law Questions