Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Want to set up provision for one family heir to end up with…

Customer Question
Want to set up...

Want to set up provision for one family heir to end up with the family home upon death of both parties in trust. Can we set up a provision for some amount of payment to the other three heirs so only the one ends up with ownership beforehand?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The home is in California and falls under Prop. 13 so taxes are quite low now. Want to keep trust open or send to our Alabama trust after the payoff is completed to get step up in value eventually. Alabama trust holds all assets except San Diego home.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

As to what? Have California and Alabama trusts.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Would necessitate doing payoff from IRA account so will be necessary to pay considerable Income tax on that money when redeemed.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
3/21/2017
Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
you want to leave one party the home and the others the equal value in cash?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A fair value, taking into consideration the cost of taxes being deducted from their amount due to receiving the money earlier than might be if waited for the second death.

OK thank you; there is no need to have 2 separate trusts for property located outside of one's state; so long as the trust holds title to the property then the trustee has the ability to sell/transfer the property per the terms of the trust. You are correct that inherited property allows for a stepped up basis for capital gains purpose.

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-answers/interest-dividends-other-types-of-income/gifts-inheritances/gifts-inheritances

but there would be no legal reason that would preclude a party from leaving one person real property and others cash; if this is for children it is best to put the reasoning so it makes it more difficult to contest if they disagree.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would this be handled by amending the California trust which now has the title so is done prior to death of either one of the principals to that trust?

Yes one can either amend the CA trust; or terminate the CA trust and amend the other trust so that trust holds title to the real estate.

CA probate code 15400:

Unless a trust is expressly made irrevocable by the trust instrument, the trust is revocable by the settlor. This section applies only where the settlor is domiciled in this state when the trust is created, where the trust instrument is executed in this state, or where the trust instrument provides that the law of this state governs the trust.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!