Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I have recently moved my 73 year old mother into a low

income retirement community. Although she...
I have recently moved my 73 year old mother into a low income retirement community. Although she comfortable and well liked by neighbors and staff and due to possibly worsening health issues, the community may not suit her needs in the future (5-10 years later). Since it is one of few places she can afford with her current social security allowance, moving in with a relative overseas (Bangkok, Thailand) is the best option for her budget and overall needs. My mother was born in Thailand, and is still either a Thai national, or Thai citizen. She married an American, and has since earned US citizen during her 30+ years in the US. Given her situation with both countries and her probably move back to Thailand, I would like to complete her last will and testament while is is in the US (California). If she completes a will in the US, will it be null and void if she passes away in Thailand? Should she also, or only complete a will in Thailand? Are there any Thai attorneys within the US that could be a good resource?
1/21/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

A will in California would be valid for California assets. If she has any assets in Thailand she will need to do one there.I would consider having her do one here in California and another when she moves to Thailand.

California has a statutory forms she can use, she just completes it or you do and she signs in front of notary and witnesses.Then you have California covered.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/documents/publications/Will-Form.pdf

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney