Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I need to change my will and add a close friend. How?

Customer Question
I need to change my...
I need to change my will and add a close friend. How ?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Estate Law
1/9/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

If you create a new will it will revoke any prior will. That is recommended over making changes via codicils, which can get lost.

A codicil is a written amendment to your will which is signed and witnessed in the same manner as a will. It is then attached to the will.

You create a codicil by typing out the fact that it is a codicil to an existing will, which you reference in the codicil, and then specify the changes you want to make to the will.

Here is a sample codicil you can use as a template:

CODICIL

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney