John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

My sons father has passed away. He told them that he hadn't

Customer Question

My sons father has passed away. He told them that he hadn't forgotten them and that they would be set for life. They've waited for his wife to give them what he left them. She died a year later living everything to her son: house, BMW, money, car everything. Is there anyway to get what was left to them? There half-brother wont even talk to them.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

No there's nothing they or you can do at this point. This is the unfortunate part of estate planning - or lack thereof. Their dad specifically would have had to leave them items in his estate documents - will, trust, or even have them titled as owners of various things (vehicles, accounts etc.) before his death. In short, their dad's verbal assurance of being taken care of isn't worth anything estate-wise. There would have to have been the proper estate documents.

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.