How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10036
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father recently passed away, three months prior he

Customer Question

My father recently passed away, three months prior he financed a veh for me in his name only and regsisterd in his name in New Hampshire. I want to continue payments and register legally. Thank you
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Other then death certification nothing
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No will he haf no bills or debts mother still alive sister also fo not want veh in question
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 7 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 7 months ago.

My sympathies for your family's loss.

Is there a will?

Also, does your mother/sister make any claims to the vehicle?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No will no contesting nor claims. Veh was purchased for me, his son.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 7 months ago.

Thank you;

then the other heirs (ie spouse, siblings) can "disclaim" any interest in the vehicle, so that it goes to the next in line.

That is explained here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The veh is financed how can i than register do not have title bank has.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 7 months ago.

Please see page 56 here:

The executor is the only person with the authority to act on behalf of the estate; they can contact the lienholder and request they work with the DMV so that the DMV can make the necessary name change.

The lienholder would have to agree to the assumption of the loan, otherwise the executor would need to use estate assets to pay off the loan.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 7 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 7 months ago.

I will be out of the office for the next several days on a personal leave; if you have any questions on the above please post here today and I will respond; otherwise I will respond as soon as I return.

It has been a pleasure to assist. If the information has been useful kindly rate positive so the site may credit my account for my time spent assisting you. Thank you.

Related Estate Law Questions