How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I inherited my father's estate which included numerous

Customer Question

I inherited my father's estate which included numerous valuable items in which I purchased a large safe to keep them in. Am currently seperated from my spouse with her living at the residence. She was aware of these valuables and has took it upon herself to remove this safe weighing over a thousand pounds. There is no current divorce action with the courts at this time or legal seperation papers. My question is 1. Is she entitled to any of my inheritance 2. Is she allowed to remove this from our property
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: In probate court I was awarded this inheritance
JA: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry for your loss.

1. Is she entitled to any of my inheritance

No. If you inherited it, then it is your separate property, and does not count as part of the marital estate, under Colorado Revised Statutes Sections 14-10-113.

2. Is she allowed to remove this from our property

Since it is your separate property, the answer is no. The most practical approach would be to go to family court to seek the return of the property under legal separation as a whole.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.